Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bali Barat National Park - April 2011



I had a day to kill in Bali on my return from North Sumatra this week so instead of surfing (plenty in Nias) and lazing by the pool...

Inspired by Stijn De Win’s one day trip, I organised a driver to pick me up from my hotel in Legian at 4am and drive the 3 hours to Bali Barat National Park – West Bali, while I slept in the back. Arrived at 6.50! (Return trip – Rp500,000 or $55 at 9050!!)


Met local guide Hery (essential to have a guide if you want to get into the park proper) who took me around for the half day – 7am to 3pm (Rp500,000 or $55). Hery’s has been guiding for over 9 years in the National Park and his contact is +62 81338078010 or email hery_kn@yahoo.co.id.

We started at the boat launch site with a completely un-tickable view of Yellow-throated Hanging Parrots. “Don’t worry, there are plenty”... Still off the list after many other non-tickable views...


Caught a boat over to the Park proper (Rp400,000 or $44) and birded for 3 hours until we reached the captive breeding centre of the Bali Myna.


Plenty to see including Beach Thick-knee, Great-billed Heron, Sunda Cuckoo-Shrike and Small Minivet. But the highlights were Black-winged Starling (endangered), and the Bali Myna (critically endangered). I saw 1 of the “un-banded” wild bird with a “banded” version. Apparently more are to be released soon! Only bummer was a very distant and un-tickable view of Black-thighed Falconet.


Took the boat over to Menjangan Island for easy views of Lemon-bellied White-eye to complete all my Bali White-eyes!


Headed back to the mainland and off in the car towards Gilimanuk to a forest walk by a stream. Started excellently with brilliant views of Rufous-backed Kingfisher! But I was really here to see the recently split Javan Banded Pitta. On the way I picked up some classics like Crescent-chested Babbler and Grey-rumped Treeswift. But even after hearing a couple, no Pitta...


Off back to the launch area for a quick lunch then onto the Menjangan Resort for a “wind down the window of the car” view of Green Junglefowl. Nice.


Lastly had one last crack at Javan Banded Pitta at another site as storm clouds threatened overhead. Walked to an area that looked very unlike Pitta territory and with a quick tape play had a sensational Male in the bins for about 15-20 secs! Brilliant!!!! A female was also heard nearby but not seen.


As Hery and I high fived and walked back to the car, the heavens opened and continued to pour destroying my chance of seeing Lesser Adjutant at Gilimanuk. Oh well next time.

All up, 39 species (not bad for a half day), 11 lifers and 19 new for Indonesia. Cost $170 including transport, guide, boat, NP fee and breeding centre donation, lunch and drinks.

Happy!
Steve Potter



I – Indonesia
L – lifer
*** - Sensational!


  1. Green Junglefowl  (I,L)
  2. Fulvous-breasted Woodpecker 
  3. Laced Woodpecker  (I)
  4. Coppersmith Barbet  (I)
  5. Blue-eared Kingfisher 
  6. Rufous-backed Kingfisher  (I,L) ***
  7. Collared Kingfisher 
  8. Chestnut-headed Bee-eater  (I)
  9. Lesser Coucal 
  10. Cave Swiftlet 
  11. Grey-rumped Treeswift  (I,L)
  12. Savanna Nightjar 
  13. Island Collared-Dove 
  14. Emerald Dove  (I)
  15. Zebra Dove 
  16. Orange-breasted Green-Pigeon (I)
  17. Beach Thick-knee  (I)
  18. Great-billed Heron  (I)
  19. Javan Banded Pitta (I,L) ***
  20. Golden-bellied Gerygone 
  21. Long-tailed Shrike 
  22. Mangrove Whistler  (I,L)
  23. White-breasted Woodswallow 
  24. Sunda Cuckoo-Shrike (I,L)
  25. White-shouldered Triller 
  26. Small Minivet  (I,L)
  27. Pied Fantail 
  28. Black Drongo 
  29. Common Iora 
  30. Fulvous-chested Jungle-Flycatcher 
  31. Black-winged Starling (I,L) 
  32. Bali Myna  (I,L) ***
  33. Great Tit 
  34. Pacific Swallow 
  35. Yellow-vented Bulbul 
  36. Lemon-bellied White-eye (I,L)
  37. Crescent-chested Babbler  (I,L)
  38. Australasian Lark  (I)
  39. Olive-backed Sunbird


No comments: