Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Sabah, Borneo May 2013 Part 1 - Sepilok Rainforest Discovery Centre


Black Hornbill

After an amazing time away in Indonesia, I planned to have a few days off by my self to “recharge”. So with the permission of my most amazing and adorable wife, I was released for 5 days to do what ever I liked as part of my 50th Birthday celebrations.

This time I decided on the eastern part of Sabah - the northern, Malaysian province of the island of Borneo. So using my trusty iPhone, I quickly organized flights, accommodation and guides/transport and was set to go. I only had 4 full days and so didn’t do any of these regions justice but decided to go hard anyway and see as much as I could. This required early mornings and late nights but would be well worth it.

Bushy-crested Hornbill
The plan was:
  • Wed – Fly to KK, fly to Sandakan, do the Rainforest Discover Centre (RDC) in Sepilok. Overnight in Sepilok B&B. 
  • Thurs – RDC until lunch, 2 hours by bus to Kinabatangan River to see Proboscis Monkey etc. Staying at the Kinabatangan Nature Lodge (KNL). 
  • Friday – Bird around KNL in the morning then back to the RDC until my late flight back to KK. 
  • Sat – Early 1.5 hour drive up Mount Kinabalu to bird the forest all day. 
  • Sun – Leisurely morning before departing back to Singapore at lunchtime.

Well that was the plan.

Squirrel

Ilona and I had just flown into Singapore from Bali the night before and I only had 8 hours to unpack, repack, sleep, travel back to the airport and fly out. Whew. I decided to check the Australian Govt. travel advice for this region considering I had never been there. Unbeknown to me, a month beforehand a terrorist group from another country, know for kidnapping tourists, had attempted a take over in the next city and so the travel advice was: “Eastern Sabah, including nearby islands and dive sites – Do Not Travel”. Yep that’s about right for a Steve trip. Off we go!

Fire from lightning strike - KK airport

First stop Kota Kinabalu in the West of Sabah. I flew Silk Air and arrived at 11.00am. I had to change terminals to get to my Air Asia flight on to Sandakan in the East, easy enough by taxi at 30RM ($10). Whilst waiting in the terminal a military helicopter descended and landed right in front of us. As it did, a huge flash appeared coinciding with an ear-shattering bang. 90% of those waiting in the lounge hit the floor. I, mean while, casually glanced up from my current iPhone game of Solitaire.  Gee the locals are jittery!! What had happened was a bolt of lightning had struck the ground not 100m away and started a fire only 3 m from the runway. “Attention: Air Asia flight to Sandakan has been delayed…” Fortunately only until they put the fire out.

Collared Kingfisher

I arrived in Sandakan and quickly grabbed a taxi to Sepilok where I stayed at the Sepilok B&B ($30). Awesome place. Well run with air-con, great food and only 400m from the RDC - Birding heaven. I quickly downed some lunch, grabbed 2 bottles of water and set off into the park. Surprising to me, this is very well set out with excellent paths, maps and huge towers that connect a skywalk in the tops of the trees. As it was mid afternoon, the birds were quiet in the forest but around the skywalk and the open area’s I quickly got onto some crackers including Yellow-rumped Flowerpecker, Silver-rumped Needle-tail, Black and Yellow Broadbill, Ruby-cheeked Sunbird and a swag of Bulbuls.

Brown Barbet

I then met up with a group of young American researchers who were also staying at the B&B. We ended up having dinner together there and then headed back into the RDC for a night walk. Here we got onto Brown Hawk-Owl and a “Slow Loris” - a nocturnal mammal that I would have called a Cuscus. Early to bed in anticipation of the dawn bounty.

Black and Yellow Broadbill

The next morning I was up in the dark to ensure I was at a certain point to get onto one of the 6 Pitta in the area. I dipped entirely on Pitta but picked up some other great birds including 2 Malkoha, and a perched Blue-crowned Hanging Parrot. Bird waves are a treat in Asia. You can see nothing for a while and then in the next moment you are surrounded by 10-15 different species of bird and then as soon as they arrived, they are gone. This is where the camera comes in handy!

Red-naped Trogon

I headed back to the skywalk and it was large bird time with Bushy-crested and Black Hornbill arriving as well as Jerdon’s Baza. Sweet. I then decided it was back into the forest time and was rewarded with one of the major targets, Red-naped Trogon. This bird was magnificent. I can’t describe how amazing it looks in the flesh. I would have to say that Trogons now would be a close second to my favorite birds – Pittas.

Flying everything!
At lunch time I had to quickly depart the RDC and pack, as my transport for the next part of the adventure was soon arriving. This was the 1 day/night in the Kinabatangan River region. See next section.

On my return from Kinabatangan I had 6 hours to kill and what better way to do that than to head back into the RDC. So, after a brief and awesome lunch, water in the bag I set off again. This was rewarded with crackers like the unusual and MEGA tick of the Bornean Bristlehead. I took a very bad photo… from miles away… in the rain. I also picked up Fiery Minivet, Thick-billed Spiderhunter, Red-throated Sunbird and Blue-eared Barbet.

Very bad photo of Bornean Bristlehead!

As the light faded, I farewell a most beautiful and special place, had my last great feed at the Sepilok B&B who kindly let me grab a shower etc and then headed back to Sandakan for my flight to KK.

Yellow-rumped Flowerpecker

Birds seen in the Sepilok RDC (L – Lifer)

  1. Oriental Darter
  2. Oriental Honey-buzzard - L
  3. Jerdon's Baza - L
  4. Raffles's Malkoha
  5. Chestnut-breasted Malkoha
  6. Greater Coucal
  7. Brown Hawk-Owl - L
  8. Silver-rumped Needletail - L
  9. Glossy Swiftlet
  10. Edible-nest Swiftlet
  11. Red-naped Trogon - L
  12. Blue-throated Bee-eater
  13. Black Hornbill - L
  14. Rhinoceros Hornbill
  15. Bushy-crested Hornbill - L
  16. Brown Barbet
  17. Blue-eared Barbet - L
  18. Grey-capped Woodpecker
  19. Rufous Woodpecker
  20. Blue-crowned Hanging-Parrot
  21. Black-and-yellow Broadbill
  22. Bornean Bristlehead - L
  23. Fiery Minivet - L
  24. Greater Racket-tailed Drongo
  25. Pied Fantail
  26. Black Magpie - L
  27. Slender-billed Crow
  28. Yellow-vented Bulbul
  29. Cream-vented Bulbul
  30. Red-eyed Bulbul
  31. Spectacled Bulbul
  32. Hairy-backed Bulbul
  33. Buff-vented Bulbul - L
  34. Ashy Tailorbird
  35. Black-capped Babbler - L
  36. Oriental Magpie-Robin
  37. Asian Glossy Starling
  38. Common Hill Myna
  39. Lesser Green Leafbird - L
  40. Yellow-rumped Flowerpecker - L
  41. Orange-bellied Flowerpecker
  42. Ruby-cheeked Sunbird - L
  43. Plain Sunbird
  44. Red-throated Sunbird - L
  45. Eastern Crimson Sunbird
  46. Thick-billed Spiderhunter - L
  47. Little Spiderhunter
  48. Spectacled Spiderhunter
  49. Eurasian Tree Sparrow
  50. Dusky Munia - L

Thick-billed Spiderhunter


No comments: